@jmdavidson1@ScottW58 Either works as far as I’m concerned, they are drinking great now but I believe will still be just as good in 5 years,
I’m slowly working through my 2 remaining mixed cases of 07 10 11 12 ,
IMHO the 12’s are more ready to drink only because the tannin structure is stronger in the 10’s. The 10 needs a fatty steak right now. But good Lord they are all great wines so far. Probably drink my next 10 in 3 to 5 years, these will go the distance.
First, a bottle to be seen here at some future date; then an '11 Wellington Merlot that was corked (really!) or something, smelled and tasted bad (never said those words in conjunction with anything Wellington before), then an '07 Wellington Merlot that is all I’d hoped for and more.
@klezman I’ve been trying to do my part! In advance of my looming retirement I’ve been schlepping home all the wine in my file cabinet drawers at work (Ron’s nightmare) and getting reacquainted with a big chunk of my collection. Had a lovely '07 Merlot the other day, which I found stashed away at the office alongside a bottle of Crucible.
For tonight, just a few sips of tomorrow’s feature. Just to be sure it’s as mediocre as I thought on Friday night.
Tonight I opened a 2009 Wellington Victory in celebration of a complete water system (UV disinfecting, softener, tankless hot water, and reverse osmosis purifier for kitchen sink) getting installed in our rural home we occupied last November. No more lugging 5 gallon water jugs down the stairs to the house! Now about the wine: cork was a bit fragile (broke on pulling, but the remainder came out easily with a needle-pump opener), heavy sediment on the shoulders and neck, but absolutely delicious (dare I say awesome?)!
[on edit: perhaps Mediocrebot doesn’t trigger on edited replies?]
@ScottW58 I only got half a dozen strips, and some shortloin tails to get over the shipping threshold.
The wine is excellent. Wish I’d bought more than 2, but I suspect the other one of these might still be around for my 45th birthday. I think the 1980 Monte Bello might be worth tagging for my 50th
I have several bottles, and given that they’re impossible to procure any more, I’d like to space them out…but don’t want to have them go over the hill. Just because “port” is in the name, will they be good five years from now, by your estimation?
2005 WineSmith Faux Chablis with lobster ravioli and a seafood cream sauce. Not our typical Monday night, but when you’re hanging around the house all day, you have to make sacrifices. #socialdistancing #workfromhome
@rjquillin@ScottW58 Selections? They’re offering a case at $30/bottle.
I’d take a couple more bottles at that price, but we just got notice of 5 cases from Garagiste coming soon. So somebody else needs to order if you want any!
2016 Campesino Syrah, Las Madres Vineyard. A very enjoyable Last Bottle pickup. In honor of our nonagenarian mothers: one who bristles at offers of help, and one who is cheerful but a bit more fragile and thrives on her kids’ visits. Worried for both of them.
2013 Sueño Profundo over two nights. It was profoundly sueño. Perhaps a tad reticent on the first night, but tonight is was just delicious.
I’ve got a 2007 Col Solare and a 2007 High Flyer Centerline pulled from the cellar and staged for takeoff. I’m sure the Col Solare will be fine, but the High Flyer…we’ll see.
@rjquillin No truffles…no way to go through 8 oz just the two of us quickly enough. Scott didn’t want to share.
Working two full time jobs and taking care of two very young kids. We’re putting in 100 hour weeks right now.
2013 Johnson Estate Founder’s Red w/BBQ ribs
90% Chancellor, 10% Merlot from a solid Western NY winery between Buffalo and Cleveland. This is the family winery of Casemater @arielleslie who I haven’t seen around in quite awhile.
We stopped there on the way back from one of @bahwm and @ddeuddeg 's annual gatherings. Note to self; seek out more Chancellor and return to Johnson Estate once things get back to something resembling normal!
2013 Grand Napa Vineyards Blanc de Noir w/apps
2012 Tasca D’Almerita Sicilia Le Rose di Regaleali w/salad
2005 Jana Winery Cathedral w/filet mignon, mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts
N.V. Jonata Winery La Miel de Jonata w/strawberry shortcake
It looks like two men with dark hair and big sideburns - back to back side profile head shots, wearing Mario style hats. It was less grainy from snapping a screenshot with my phone and zooming in upside down. Maybe I am just chasing clouds… err, mushrooms!
Oh, my woot! mixed mushrooms arrived yesterday; actually looking good after spending all day on a UPS truck. Out of fridge space so they are now in a cooler with a bit of spare dry ice keeping them at a cool ~ 8.5C.
@klezman Tonight I opened a 2013 Wellington Estate Malbec, but didn’t bother trying it, as I can neither taste nor smell at the moment. So I can’t say whether it went as well with cassoulet as the Cahors Malbecs we usually pair with it. But I’m told it was nice.
I use his instructions as a loose guide for ingredients and cooking times, but I adapted it to lighten it up. Instead of lamb, beef, and pork, mine’s more of a Turducken version. I start with a smoked duck breast – I cut off the fat layer and render it down into duck fat and bacony bits that go into the recipe. The duck meat I cut up and throw into the pot toward the end so it doesn’t get too dry, since it’s ready to eat right out of the package. The turkey part is a couple of good local turkey sausages, I sear the outsides and slice them. And the chicken, I use chicken thighs. I brown them and cut them up. The meat and the bones go into the pot with the beans, before it all gets baked.
I won’t bore you with the details, you can get the drift from his site. My way isn’t as elaborate as the traditional method he follows, but it’s still a process I try to spread out over the course of a couple of days, when we’re on vacation the end of the year. We always have it on NYE. It freezes well, last night’s dinner was part of January’s batch. I just popped the frozen brick into the sous vide to heat it up.
@radiolysis Thanks. I haven’t been tested, and I have relatively mild symptoms, but that loss of smell and taste do seem to be a big hint.
Trying to do my part to flatten the curve, I haven’t been out of the apartment since 3/22. I find myself unable to stop watching the traffic cam that’s shown on one of the cable channels. It’s springtime in NYC! People are driving in their cars!
@klezman@rjquillin@ScottW58 I know. Though a lot of it was like, here’s a big chunk of lamb. I took pics of my cooking process one year, but honestly they don’t look like much. They just help me remember what I did. I don’t have any rustic casseroles to do it justice.
@CorTot@jshaver@Winedavid49 Excellent! We had the Berserker Wilde Farm Syrah, 2016 last night, and it was what I think of as too cool-climate Syrah for me. High acid, low extraction, just not my cup of tea. So, tonight we’ll try the Hall. Thanks for the recommendation.