The Avivo Sangiovese opens with notes of ripe, red apple, rhubarb jam, clove, and nutmeg. The palate is bright with ﬂavors reminiscent of cooked pecans, fruit compote, and charcuterie for depth and balance. The ﬁnish is refreshing but tempered with a velvet mouthfeel that begs for another sip.
Sourced from our partners the Ledbetter Family Vineyards in Lodi, California. The Sangiovese is planted up on the bench in rocky, well-drained soils. The vineyard is farmed to Demeter-certified standards of Biodynamics.
The 2019 vintage will be remembered as one of the best of the decade. A wet winter followed by a wet spring started the year oﬀ a little late, but we needed that water! Northern California did not suﬀer the usual mid-July/August heat waves, frankly, the summer was extremely mild compared to most. As the fruit slowly ripened and rain remained absent, we realized the crop was short and the growing season nearly perfect. A great vintage for winemakers and consumers alike!
90% of the grapes were de-stemmed only and transferred by gravity to open-top fermenters, the other 10% was left whole-cluster and added to the bottom of the tank. A long, cool 5-day cold soak was allowed before the tank was taken off cooling. The must was then fermented with indigenous yeast to promote complexity and terroir. The fermented wine was pressed off slightly before dryness to minimize harsh phenols and retain its core of fruit. Malolactic was completed with indigenous flora.
Cooperage and Aging: Aged in neutral French oak barrels for 9 months.
The art of making great wine starts with the thoughtful process of choosing what grape varieties to grow. Which is why we started by challenging conventional wisdom about what kinds of grapes really belong in California.
To our surprise — and ultimately our delight — we concluded that California’s climate is not at all like that of the regions of northern France, where the five varieties that constitute over 93% of the winegrapes grown in California originate. That struck us as a problem.
On the other hand, it is exactly like that of the Mediterranean, specifically Italy and Spain. So that’s what we chose to grow — and it’s made a huge difference.
AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, LA, ME, MD, MA, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, TX, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY
@KNmeh7 purchased thru my OH connection last time
This wine surprised us! PnP it was so light in the glass then the fruit and flavors hit. Wifey and I looked at each other wide-eyed…it was dry, it was delicious! We had already ordered Donatos pizza. OMG, it was the perfect afternoon